Polymers, Plastics, Paints & Coatings
LA Testing, the leader in providing cutting edge laboratory services and products, has been busy analyzing paints and coatings to find scientific answers to clients’ difficult questions. LA Testing routinely tests materials for everything from purity of pigments and identification of paint type after application to matching paint in automobile accidents.
Paint and coating problems routinely solved at LA Testing include:
- Is our supplier giving us the right paint?
- Does the paint in our home contain dangerous pigments?
- Why does our powder coat peal loose?
- Did the contractor apply enough paint to the walls?
- Why is the paint bubbling and pulling loose from our walls?
- Does the paint on the dent in our vehicle match the neighbor’s car?
- Why does this batch display less brilliance that the last batch did?
- Is our supplier using the right size mica and calcite?
- What is the melting and flash point of our spray paint?
- Is the paint in our building latex or acrylic?
The laboratory has an arsenal of the latest scientific instrumentation at their disposal to answer these and other challenging questions. Thermo-gravimetric analysis (TGA) and Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) can determine specific melting points, transition temperatures and liquid/solid contents. X-Ray Diffraction Spectrometry (XRD) determines type and concentration of crystalline components. Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometry can determine the type of paint and many of its component materials. Microscopy using optical and electron microscopes is useful for identifying solid components and measuring particle size and layer thickness.
LA Testing’s project scientists have also successfully provided failure analysis and comparative product performance evaluations for a wide range of clients. To learn more contact the Materials Science Division at EMSL's corporate headquarters in Cinnaminson, New Jersey.